Daily Bible Reading:
- Day 1: 1 Samuel 26:1-15
- Day 2: 1 Samuel 27:1-12
- Day 3: 1 Samuel 28:1-25
- Day 4: 1 Samuel 29:1-11
- Day 5: 1 Samuel 30:1-30
Week 31: 1 Samuel 26-30 (Saul Consults a Medium)
- Have you ever experimented with séances, Ouija boards, or other occult practices? If so, what happened in these experiences and how did you feel about them? Why do you think there is such a fascination with the occult?
- Read Lev. 19:31; 20:6, 27, Deut. 18:9-12. What is a medium, and what does God clearly say about consulting mediums? Why do you think God forbids such practices? Why is the occult dangerous?
- What circumstances in our story provoked King Saul to consult the medium at En-dor? Do you think Saul knew it was wrong to do this? Why or why not?
- Why do you think Saul disguised himself when he went to the medium? What decision had Saul previously made about mediums and spiritists in Israel?
- How did the medium respond when she first saw the spirit of Samuel? Why do you think she was so surprised and fearful? What was Samuel’s appearance? Do you think this was really Samuel?
- We know that demonic spirits are real, but it is extremely rare for the spirit of a departed saint to return to earth. Can you think of any other instances in the Bible when this happened? If so, when?
- Why do you think God would permit the spirit of Samuel to return to Saul in this instance? What bad news did Samuel have for Saul?
- From this story and other teachings in the Bible, why should we never experiment with the occult or seek out departed spirits? On the positive side, what good news is reinforced by this story about the death of God’s people?
- Let’s pray and give God praise for the reality of life after death and for believers who have died and are already with the Lord.