Daily Bible Reading:
- Day 1: 1 Kings 17:1-24
- Day 2: 1 Kings 18:1-46
- Day 3: 1 Kings 19:1-21
- Day 4: 1 Kings 21:1-29
- Day 5: 1 Kings 22:1-53
Week 38: 1 Kings 21:1-25 (Ahab takes Naboth’s Vineyard)
- What is one special thing you have always wanted, but never been able to have? How does this make you feel?
- In our story, Ahab, King of Israel, wanted his neighbor’s vineyard, but Naboth wouldn’t let him have it. How did this make Ahab feel and in what very immature ways did he react? What is the difference between wanting something and coveting something?
- What did Jezebel, Ahab’s wife, say to him about the situation? What plot did Jezebel connive to take Naboth’s vineyard for her husband? What part did Ahab play in this? What became of Naboth and his vineyard?
- Who was Elijah the Tishbite? What did the Lord instruct Elijah to do? What specific words of judgment was Elijah told to deliver to Ahab? What specific words of judgment did God have for Jezebel?
- Read 1 Kings 22:37-38. What became of Ahab? Read 2 Kings 9:30-36. What became of Jezebel?
- God said that Ahab “sold himself to do what was evil” (v. 25a). What does it mean to sell yourself to do evil? Why does it never pay to do this?
- God said that Jezebel “incited” or “stirred up” Ahab to do evil (v. 25b). How can others incite us to do evil? How can we stir up one another to do good? Why is it important to have close relationships with others who stir us up to do good works and to be faithful to God?
- Why is coveting a dangerous sin to confess? Read Phil. 4:11. What secret had Paul “learned” that can help us overcome the sin of coveting? In what ways have your learned this secret in your own life?
- Let’s pray for one another today to learn the secret of godly contentment.