Daily Bible Reading:
- Day 1: 2 Kings 1:1-18
- Day 2: 2 Kings 2:1-25
- Day 3: 2 Kings 4:1-44
- Day 4: 2 Kings 5:1-27
- Day 5: 2 Kings 6:1-33
Week 39: 2 Kings 2:1-15 (Elijah Taken and the Mantle Passed)
- Who is the most influential person in your life that has gone on to be with the Lord? What lasting impact did this person have on you?
- In our story, it was time for Elijah the prophet to go home to be with the Lord. What was the special relationship between Elijah and Elisha? In what ways had Elisha been a “disciple” of Elijah?
- On three occasions, at Gilgal, Bethel, and Jordan, Elijah asked Elisha to stay behind. Why do you think he did this and why do you think Elisha refused?
- What miracle took place when the two men came to the Jordan River? How many times in the Bible did God miraculously part a body of water for someone? What lesson is God teaching us in this?
- What was Elisha’s one request of Elijah before he was taken? Do you think this was an honorable request? Why or why not?
- How was Elijah taken to heaven? Who else was taken to heaven without seeing death? Will others be taken like this? If so, who?
- When Elisha took up the mantle (or cloak) of Elijah, what did this indicate? What did it indicate when God parted the Jordan for Elisha as He had done for Elijah? In what ways are Elisha’s actions an example to follow?
- When someone has discipled you, when is it time to “pick up the mantle?” What will be required of you to do this? Are you ready? Why or why not?
- When you take up the mantle of spiritual leadership in faith and courage, what will God do for you? What are the consequences when new leaders refuse to take up the mantle? What good things happen when they do?
- Let’s pray for one another to know when it’s time to take up the mantle.