Daily Bible Reading:
- Day 1: Nehemiah 1:1-11
- Day 2: Nehemiah 2:1-20
- Day 3: Nehemiah 4:1-23
- Day 4: Nehemiah 5:1-19
- Day 5: Nehemiah 6:1-19
Week 44: Nehemiah 1:1-11 (Nehemiah Prays for His People)
- Do you consider yourself to be a leader? Why or why not? Not everyone is a born leader, but do you think everyone can become one? Why or why not?
- In our story, God begins to rise up a great leader named Nehemiah whose heart was stirred for a righteous cause. What bad news did Nehemiah hear from his brother and what righteous cause stirred his heart? What was Nehemiah’s first reaction to his brother’s words?
- How is Nehemiah’s response different from one of apathy and indifference? Why are feelings of apathy and indifference a much needed attitude to change for many people today? Why is indifference a sin to confess?
- How long did Nehemiah fast and pray over his concern for Jerusalem? What is the spiritual discipline of “fasting?” Why is fasting important for us today? When should we fast? Can someone share a testimony about fasting?
- In Nehemiah’s great prayer, what words of adoration did he speak to God? What words of confession did he speak to God? What words of Scripture did he call to God’s remembrance? What specific things did he request of God? How does your prayer life compare to that of Nehemiah’s?
- What was Nehemiah’s current occupation? Based on Nehemiah’s prayer request, what do you think it is that he desired to do? What must happen for the desires of Nehemiah’s heart to become reality?
- What important lessons on leadership can we learn from Nehemiah? How are Nehemiah’s actions an example for us to follow? What righteous cause is stirring your heart today? What are you going to do about it?
- Let’s pray today that God will stir our hearts for a righteous cause and give us the faith and courage to take action.