Daily Bible Reading:
- Day 1: Esther 1:1-22
- Day 2: Esther 2:1-23
- Day 3: Esther 3:1-15
- Day 4: Esther 4:1-17
- Day 5: Esther 5:1-14
Week 46: Queen Esther’s Faith and Courage (Esther 4:1-17)
- What do we dislike so much about a person who is a bully? When is that last time you had to deal with a bully and how did you deal with him or her?
- In our story, Queen Esther, the Jewish Queen of Persia, was called on to deal with a bully named Haman who plotted to destroy the Jews. Who was Mordecai and what was his relationship to Esther? What news had Mordecai learned that cause him great grief? How did he respond to this news?
- Who was Haman and why did he want to destroy all the Jews living in Persia? Throughout history, why do you think the Jewish people have often faced great persecution and threats of extermination?
- When Mordecai informed Esther about Haman’s evil plot, what concern did she have about taking action? What words of encouragement did Mordecai share with her that inspired Esther to take action?
- What did Esther request of Mordecai and all the Jews living in Susa before she would appear before the King? How is Esther’s wise request a great example for us to follow?
- Why is it important for all of us to have “a Mordecai” in our lives who encourages us to live with faith and courage? Can you share about someone in your life that has been a spiritual encourager to you?
- Mordecai told Esther that she might have come to the kingdom “for such a time as this” (v. 14). Do you believe that God sovereignly places you at certain places in certain times for certain reasons? Why or why not?
- At this season of your life, what do you think is God’s plan for your life?
- Let’s pray today that God will clearly reveal His plans for each of us and gives us the faith and courage to act on His plans.