Daily Bible Reading:
- Day 1: Isaiah 6:1-13
- Day 2: Isaiah 40:1-31
- Day 3: Isaiah 53:1-12
- Day 4: Jeremiah 1:1-19
- Day 5: Jeremiah 7:1-34
Week 49: Isaiah 53:1-12 (Our Suffering Servant)
- What is a prophet? What important role did prophets play in the Bible?
- In our story, Isaiah the Prophet gave a clear description of Jesus’ suffering and death around seven hundred years before He was born. What did the prophet say about Jesus’ personal appearance? How did he say that others would view Him? In what ways were these things true concerning Jesus?
- What did the prophet say Jesus would do with our griefs and sorrows? In what ways did Jesus do this? Why did the prophet say that Jesus would be “pierced and crushed?” What did he say about Jesus’ “wounds or stripes?”
- In what way did the prophet say we are all like sheep? Do you agree or disagree? When did the Lord lay on Jesus “the iniquity of us all?” In what way is this a promise to claim? Do you think most people understand this?
- Read Matt. 26:63; 27:12-14. How do these words of Matthew fit Isaiah’s description of Jesus? Why do you think Jesus remained silent before His accusers? Why did it please the Lord to “crush” Jesus and “put Him to grief?” What does this say about God’s amazing love for us?
- If Jesus was “cut off out of the land of the living,” how was it possible for God to “prolong His days?” With such great details given so long ago about Jesus’ death and resurrection, what does this say about the Bible?
- In light of this prophesy, how is it possible that people do not believe in Jesus as Messiah and Savior? How could you use this passage to witness to someone who is lost? Knowing that Jesus suffered and died for you, in what ways is your life an expression of gratitude to Him?
- Let’s pray today giving thanks to Jesus for His great sacrifice for us and pray that our lives will be a reflection of our gratitude to Him.